Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Japanese Pattern Bag finally finished



This is my first post here, and I want to thank Linda for extending me an invitation.

It's made using the Japanese Bag pattern, in Amy Butler(Ginger Bliss) and other fabrics.
This bag was a UFO for a while as I couldn't decide on the fabric for the handles. I had seen these leather handles in many Japanese books, and had looked for them endlessly in bag supplies. Luckily Linda enlighted me as to them being saddle strings, and sold me these to get my on my way.
Originally I had the bag sides open about 3 " from the top and then I put the handles in. I'd love to hear anybody's thoughts on this, but I've found that if you keep the sides open the handles need to set on the corners. I was happy with the handles placement so I unpicked the sides and sewed them up.
My machine handled the straps fine, but I thought that topstitching might be pushing it.
Anyway, sorry if that was too much information, but the good thing, is that I am actually using the bag now.
Coryn
(CBM)

11 Comments:

Blogger Karyn said...

I still absolutely love that style of bag and I love your choice of fabric. I think those handles are perfect for that bag. Great job!!!

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great bag! What a wonderful first post. Welcome!
kimberly
www.thegivingflower.de

8:38 PM  
Blogger CBM said...

Thank you Karyn & Kimberly for your comments. It's appreciated.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Linda L said...

I like the bag and the fabric you chose!

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bag is really pretty, Coryn! I'm not sure what your question is...I always close my bags around the top. I would think on a bag like this having the straps on the side seams would make it pucker too much at the top. I think where you put the handles is great - it's where I put mine as well. Congrats on getting a UFO finished!

11:42 AM  
Blogger CBM said...

Hi Linda & Lindiepindie, thank you, it is a fun bag to make.

4:34 PM  
Blogger blissful said...

It looks wonderful -- welcome :)

7:32 PM  
Blogger CBM said...

Hi quenna, Thank you for the comment and welcome. Coryn.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Coryn, great to see your bag. Love the fabrics you used; loved the colors and the leather handles are a real plus.

You did a great job. thanks for sharing it. Sure provides me with some gorgeous inspiration!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Delaney Gates said...

Oh, this is fabulous! I love your mixing of the patterns!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great fabric choices

www.domestichaven.wordpress.com

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home