Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A few tips...

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but I thought I could share what works for me!

1) Always press your seams --Not only will it look more professional and neat, it will let you know the "true" measurements. No more nasty surprises when the the lining and the outside don't match and you sew in all those wrinkles.

2) To help match the seams better, I finish the the outside first, and then re-measure the liner to have the right amount of seam allowances.

2) If you want sturdy support (the bag stands on its own) but not the stiffness, try quilting! You can use a pre-quilted liner like this:


Or quilt it yourself -- I use about 3-5 vertical stitch lines on the inside liner like this. I like this SO much better than the stiff interfacing -- it feels great against your body. Also, if you you use the right handles and closure, the bag can be machine washable too. Just check the fit since the extra thickness can distort the liner size.



Which reminds me to try some of those quilted bags everyone has been making!

** Someone was asking about starting a shop on Etsy...it's fairly easy. If you can blog you can set one up. The hard part is promoting it. Though the site is still in its infancy, handbags is one of the most competitive categories. You need to figure how much time you want to devote to it (4hrs/week, 10hr, etc) and set your goals accordingly. But at the very least it is a great way to refer friends and family interested in your wares! If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me.

1 Comments:

Blogger lindiepindie said...

Great tips! And I'm kicking myself for not thinking of remeasuring the liner.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home